On Thursday 14 March, Candidate Support Officer (South East) Nicola Beer provided a helpful introduction to the Certification and Chartership process.
There have been a number of improvements implemented recently and these include:
- Members now decide which level is best for them. Nicola explained the key difference between certification and chartership is that a greater amount of reflective practice is required for the latter.
- There are no time restraints
- Clearer assessment tools and PKSB introduced
- Portfolio submitted electronically
To achieve certification or chartership the following documents are required:
- An Evaluative statement (1,000 word)
- Evidence to support statement
- Supportive documents include an annotated CV, Job Description, PKSB assessment and mentee/ mentor form.
Portfolio submissions must cover three areas- Personal Performance, Organisational Context and Wider Professional Context.Guidance on writing about your organisation can be found here- Analysing and understanding the organisation
This PowerPoint provides guidance on how to meet the assessment criteria: Professional Registration Workshop presentation
All members undertaking a qualification require a mentor and the current list can be found on the VLE. Nicola advised crafting a personalised request to individuals rather than sending a blanket email. Checking LinkedIn and Twitter profiles can help with the selection of a Mentor. Anyone who struggles to find a mentor can contact CILIP member support.
CILIPinKent’s Treasurer Kirsty Wallis, is in the final throes of her Chartership and offered some further advice:
- Keep momentum going even if this means completing just 10 minutes of work a week.
- Save as much self-development evidence as possible for potential future use. Kirsty saved emails, outputs, literature & training to a portable USB. Collecting evidence also sets you in good stead for the future when applying for jobs for example.
- Choose a mentor you connect with, it’s important to have a good working relationship.
The group took part in a reflective writing task using the worksheets below. These worksheets may be helpful when undertaking the qualification.